Spread the love
Halloween is a fun time of year, but can be dangerous for your Yorkie. Here are a few tips to keep your Yorkie safe this Halloween.
- Candy is not for Yorkies! Chocolate is poisonous to Yorkies and can be lethal. Raisins and grapes are also poisonous and should be kept away. Candy wrappers are dangerous and can cause intestinal obstructions.
- Candles can be dangerous, too. Your Yorkie can accidentally knock one over or get burned. Keep candles and open flames away from your Yorkies.
- Glow sticks and glow jewelry -keep them off the floor and away from curious Yorkies. They look fun to chew on, but their contents can cause pain and irritation in the mouth.
- Costumes should be safe. It may be fun to dress your Yorkie up on Halloween, but keep in mind that your Yorkie may not like it as much as you do. Make sure if you do dress your Yorkie in costume that your Yorkie is comfortable. Be sure their vision isn’t obstructed and they can walk freely.
- Too much activity = stress. Lots of strangers, doorbells, knocking, loud kids, new smells, it’s a lot for anyone, especially a Yorkie. During trick-or-treating, keep your Yorkie in a safe place away from the commotion and away from the constantly opening door. Yorkies under stress can act unpredictably and may run out the door, become ill, bite someone, or any number of things. Make sure your Yorkie is wearing an ID collar or is microchipped (and the information is up to date) just in case your little one does get out the door.
- Keep your Yorkie inside on Halloween. Though it is unthinkable, during Halloween pets are at risk of cruel treatment by others.
- Decorations should be kept out of reach. Many of us put up lights and decorations for Halloween. Wires and cables should be out of reach, as well as pumpkins, fake spider webs, and anything that can be chewed on.
Play it safe this Halloween!
Spread the love